Tuesday, June 30, 2015

June Romania Update!

Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6
Summer is in the air!
I cannot believe that the end of June is right around the corner and we have made it officially to the summertime! Other than a week of being sick, this month has been incredible with some pretty special highlights I am very excited to share.

It is so interesting seeing how the Lord uses gifts and skills we have learned along the way in our lives in the future.  Since I was a child I worked on projects with my parents and learned how to use tools and paint.  Then in high school I took drafting and construction and learned how to use all kinds of power tools.  Well the Lord put all those skills to use!  I had so much fun this month working on building a Pallet Wall for my friend Steffi’s son.  He wanted to have a bit more privacy and since we had a lot of pallets laying around we decided to build him a wall!  I have to say, that I am amazed at how it turned out.  Truly I cannot take all the credit for it, it totally was a God thing, with only a picture from Pinterest as inspiration, I worked with the kids to build the wall.
Some of my favorite memories from childhood involve working on things like this and so I really enjoyed being able to work with Steffi’s 3 kids on the wall.  Beca and Roxy helped me paint and we learned all about using a roller to paint with and a brush.  Then Costel helped with the power tools of course.  He learned how to use a drill for drilling and for screwing things in.  I think he was pretty excited to use real power tools!  In order to give him the privacy he wanted, we found an old duvet cover, cut it in 2 and put it in between the slats, then with 2 pillow shams we made curtains above his bed so he could look out if wanted to.  I put a string to hold his flashlight, then we cut up milk jugs and screwed them to the wall so he would have a place for his stuff (we are still collecting more!) and on the front of the wall we hung a string for his art work!  Honestly I had so much fun working with these kids and the finished product came out great!
This month means, I’ve hit the 8 month mark and can officially say that I have finished the school year off with my kids in my After School Program (ASP).  June saw a few of our kids from the program in the children’s hospital for various reasons.  I am at the hospital each Friday so I was able to visit 2 of my kids who were there.

The ASP has had an incredible year.  It is the first full school year the program has run and it has been amazing.  It has had its highs and lows, it difficulties and it joys.  We have learned a lot and will continue to improve the program and implement all that we have learned this year for the next year.  What an amazing journey this has been for me and I am so blessed that Sarah and FFR asked me to be a part of this adventure.

Seeing my kids, who I have had since the beginning grow so much makes me feel like a proud parent.  Kids who could did not know the alphabet at the beginning of the school year are READING! Truly unbelievable.  This has been one of the most humbly experiences I have ever been a part of.  Knowing that each of these children in our program has heard the Word of God taught to them, they have memorized a new Bible verse each week, they have sung songs and grew in their education is amazing.  This is truly life changing for them.   But most importantly they have learned about Jesus and how much He loves them and cares for them and has a future and a hope for their little lives.

We had a graduation for all our kids.  It went wonderful, the kids sang songs and the 8th graders and High Schoolers received certificates.  Firm Foundations Romania Leadership got each of the full time staff and long term volunteers a rose to thank us.  It was a proud moment for the children and for those of us who have worked with them all year.  It was actually much more emotional than I thought it would be as I had my kids run up to me telling what grade they would be in next year, there were lots of hugs and happy faces.  We will have some time off during the summer, but will also have an English Camp, and a couple of Vacation Bible Schools with teams from the States.
A little video with pics from our Kids Club and the After School Program Graduation!
You hear a lot about two of my girls in my first grade class, sisters, Vasilica (age 9) and Raluca (age 10).  Well I am proud to say that not only have these two beautiful young ladies graduated from the first grade and will be going to the second grade next year, they both earned scholarships due to their good grades!  They write beautiful and they are reading and doing math!  One of Vasi’s favorite things to do is to play an addition came we have.

Our kids know they are loved and it has allowed them to grow so beautifully!
I am truly humbled, thankful, and blessed to have worked with the staff and volunteers of the After School Program this year.  I know the success we have had is because of the hard work and love each of us has invested in these children.  The Lord has blessed the work of our hands and the fruit of it is evident in each life that has been touched.

Thank you for your prayer and support this past school year.  I look forward to this summer, the teams we will be working with and the time I will have to get ready for my interns who will be arriving at the beginning of August.  The work that the Lord has for me has grown and I so look forward to all the good things He has in store.

Grace and Peace,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment