Friday, May 29, 2015

Rachel's May Romania Update!

View this email in your browser
O Lord my God, You are very great:You are clothed with honor and majesty, Who cover Yourself with light as with a garment, Who stretch out the heavens like a curtain.
Psalm 104:1-2
Hello friends and family!

What a wonderful and blessed month May has been.

We had an awesome team, called “Missions of Mobile” from the University of Mobile out at the After School Program to share 2 days of music and ministry with our kids.  They were amazing!  The performed for our kids and then danced with them and taught them songs.
The kids had so much fun and on the last night the team worked with our older kids, in grades 5-8 and shared with them their own personal testimonies of how the Lord has touched their lives.  They prayed for our kids and many of the kids put their faith in Jesus that day!  It was a great experienced that blessed us, the teachers, as well as the children so much!
It has also been a very busy month, with us being one teacher short, Juliana and I have had to split up the kids into our classes.  It has been a bit crazy trying to get back into the rhythm I had established so nicely with my own kids, but we are working at each day!

I was also blessed by meeting some people who were instrumental in the formation of the After School Program back in 2014.  Jon and Marylois came out for a visit along with Jon’s Assistant Matt.  I had a such a blessed time speaking with them for 5 hours one night!  We spoke about our hearts for the orphans and children of Romania.  They had me share my own personal experiences in Romania and it was such a nice time to get to know people who have a kindred spirit for this country and its people.  Marylois even came out to the village and taught our kids about dental hygiene!  It was great!
Having Jon, Marylois, Matt and the team from Mobile out was such an uplifting experience for me.  Sometimes you don’t realize you have a need to be filled and encouraged by others until you are surrounded by such love and encouragement that you feel like your heart could burst!  It was truly a wonderful experience!

This month I would like to highlight the story of another one of my kids in the village.
This beautiful young lady, is Elena.  She is in the 8th grade and attends our After School Program (ASP) twice a week. One of the things I wanted to start when I first began in the After School Program was to have the older teens help tutor the younger children.  For this entire school year, every Wednesday Elena has been my Assistant for my 5th Grade ASP class.  She really has a gift for teaching.  About a month into have her assist me I began to allow her to do most of the teaching.  We would meet before and discuss what we would do with the kids and then I would let her go for it!  I would guide her as she went and helped with the kids.  It has been great to see her grow as a "teacher".
Elena and I with our 5th grade class
This past week Elena began the process of taking her exams to enter High School.  She now wants to be a teacher!  I love that she was able to experience what it was like to be a teacher by assisting in our After School Program.  It is so encouraging seeing the older teens getting involved with tutoring the younger kids in the program and Elena is an example of how FFR's After School Program works to transform lives!
Elena is always asking me for books to learn how to speak English, and any we have had donated she has read through.  I'm so thankful FFR sponsored the purchase of some REAL books to help her as she wants to teach herself English this summer.  She is an amazing young lady, who is smart and determined!  I can't wait to see what God has in store for her in the years to come!
The school year is winding down and the weather is becoming very sunny and warm.  It is getting harder and harder to keep the kids attention as they come to us after already being in school, they are wanting to go out and play.  So I have been trying to be creative in our learning, incorporating movement and art.  Even making snack time more fun, by teaching them English and having them prepare their “fruit and yogurt salads” as they call them. 

We are preparing for graduation in June for our Program and then will have a limited summer schedule, to give the children a break and to allow for some teams to come in and do special week long camps with the kids.  It will also give me time to prepare for my Interns who will be arriving the beginning of August.

The Lord has shown me so much this past school year with the children.  I have many ideas about next year, and what should be done differently or what to keep the same.  Please pray for wisdom for me, as I am processing and planning.  I want this program to be the best it can be for the children.  To see them learn and be excited for their education, but more importantly to see them grow in their relationship with Jesus.

Please continue to keep me in your prayers, I have been working really hard at getting the Missions and Discipleship Internship Program put together.  I am really excited about what the Lord has in store for the young women who I will be working with.  I ask for wisdom for this program and that I would know what the Lord has for the After School Program.  Please also pray for me as it has been much harder than I thought it would be to let go of some of the projects I am working on.  This is one thing I know the Lord specifically spoke to me about during my time in Budapest last month, and I want to be obedient.  I’m still not where I need to be yet, but I am trying!

Please also pray for the relationships the Lord has brought across my path.  This is an important ministry to me, and I want to be a light and encouragement to those in my life.  I am trying to be more consistent in making time for these people, as the Lord was showing me the work is not as important as the people.

"Bless the Lord, O my soul;
And all that is within me, bless His holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
And forget not all His benefits:
Who forgives all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases,
Who redeems your life from destruction,
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
Who satisfies your mouth with good things,
So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s."
Psalm 103:1-5


I do love hearing from you all, so please feel free to write!

Grace and Peace,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment