Thursday, July 16, 2015

New Mexico

There are so many places on earth that I love, that are "my favorites"...but honestly...there are only 2 places in this world that I always feel homesick for.  I never really miss California as a place, I miss the people, but not really the place...The first place I am always homesick for is Romania of course....and I'm blessed to live here, but the other is a place I only spent one year of my life living in, and that is New Mexico. 

It is interesting how from the time I was in 2nd grade I had a fascination with New Mexico.  I did my state report on it, and turns out, so did my mom when she was a little girl. Then there is this song below that I listened to when I was growing up.  I was so blessed that in 1997-1998 I lived in Albuquerque for a year doing a missions internship. It was the fulfillment of a dream for me and for my mama really.  The Lord used that time to transform my outlook on life...ever since then, I have missed this state....Albuquerque sunsets are still the most beautiful I have ever seen in the world.  How can a place I lived in almost two decades ago still tug at my heartstrings?  I came across this song last night and it brought tears to my eyes, I really am always homesick for this place...

"But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them." Hebrews 11:16
 
But being homesick for a place on earth reminds me of my heavenly home that is awaiting me.  And I find myself growing more and more homesick for this place too.  A place I have never been, but a place that I feel as I grow older, is calling me....reminding me that I am not "home" yet.  As events happen in this world, I feel myself becoming more and more a "stranger" in this place and longing for the home the Lord has for me.

"For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens." 2 Corinthians 5:1

Anyway, those are my thoughts today as I listen to this song again,.  I rest in the hope that we have in God, the hope that we have as His children, the promise of a future home where we will not be strangers, but sons and daughters, and I can't help but be homesick for my heavenly home.



No comments:

Post a Comment